Ladies and gentlemen,
Let me briefly have your attention.
First, I would like, on my behalf and on the behalf of all those presented with a recognition award for significant personal contribution to the process of monetary independence of the Republic of Macedonia, to thank the hosts and personally Governor Dimitar Bogov.
I would especially like to thank you for the organization of this modest ceremony marking 25 years of the monetary independence of the Republic of Macedonia and putting into circulation of the first Macedonian currency, since it brings us back to the times of preparation for this act of statesmanship.
Late 1991 and early 1992 were full of events, some of which so important and dramatic, that we, as witnesses, will never forget to the rest of our lives.
All those events happened for important reasons, in great secrecy, and away from the public eye.
Some of them are memorable and some have a historical significance:
- can we forget the circumstances under which we procured the paper for the coupons and the special dyes, and the difficulties we faced?,
- can we forget the tension in the studio of the printing house in Prilep when we had to decide on the design of the coupons?,
- can we forget the day and hour when we began printing the coupons?,
- finally, can we forget the historical moment when we came out of the secrecy and the Prime Minister Nikola Kljusev showed the coupons that were already named denars from the parliamentary rostrum.
Many people regarded the monetary independence as a simple act. Supply of paper and dyes, and replacement of old banknotes.
However, the endeavors surrounding monetary independence of a newly created state are enormous, complex and difficult.
Many participants in those events remained anonymous. I will take this opportunity to mention at least some of them:
- Mr. Tome Nenovski, who along with his few associates, drafted the laws, regulations and decisions underlying the foundations of the monetary system and payment operations in the country,
- Mr. Gligor Bisev, who along with his associates created the first monetary forecast for 1992, despite the meager statistics and insufficient experience,
- Ms. Dusanka Hristova, who along with her few associates, drafted the foreign exchange regulations and myriad of bylaws on international credit relations, the denar exchange rate, foreign reserves. They also created and launched the first denar exchange rate list,
- Finally, I would like to mention Mr. Dobri Mickovski, who, once the manager of the Cash Management Department resigned, accepted the directorship of the cash management function, assuming a great responsibility for the coupon printing and managing cash operations.
I express my gratitude to all of them, and many others who left their mark at that time.
Finally, I would also like to share a few words with you about the colleagues from the printing house in Prilep.
Two issues remained opened during the coupon printing: the design of coupons and their name. We left the name to be defined by a special law. The design of coupons, which is especially important for multinational countries such as ours, could not be postponed, and had to be decided quickly, and in strict confidentiality.
All my attempts to find a solution with the politicians of that time were unsuccessful.
The attempt to consult historians about using some important historical figures also did not lead to an acceptable solution.
There was no time for further consultations. The day to replace Yugoslav dinars with Macedonian money could have happened any time. In such a tense situation, one cold January night, in the studio of the printing house, where, besides me, there were the artist Borce Todorovski, the manager Sasho Zafirovski and few of their associates, we decided, from among many images made by the artist Borce, the design of the coupons for all denominations to be the same, varying only by the color and the denomination, as you already know.
I also use this opportunity to thank Borce Todorovski and Saso Zafirovski.
Thank you for your attention!
All rights reserved © 2017
National Bank of the Republic of North Macedonia